Provides technical scrub skills in the operating room during surgical procedures and assists surgical team as needed in any other capacity, according to established procedures. Must be energetic and highly motivated to support the success of Saint Louis University Hospital.
POSITION ACCOUNTABILITIES AND PERFORMANCE CRITERIA (% of time)
Essential Functions: The following are essential job accountabilities and performance criteria:
1) Demonstrates professionalism when working: (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6) 70%
A) Performs care for patient safety and well-being.
B) Able to scrub any procedure in primary cluster skillfully.
C) Able to operate all equipment in primary cluster.
D) Demonstrate ability to operate computer by correct data entry.
E) Follows established standards of practice.
F) Demonstrates flexibility.
G) Demonstrate knowledge and participates in specialty area.
H) Maintains certification (when appropriate).
2) Cooperates with other personnel to achieve department and interdepartmental objectives, and maintain good employee relations. (2, 5) 10%
A) Cooperates with other departments and their needs in the interest of patient care.
B) Works closely with ACU and PACU, and attempts to assist them when requested.
3) Safety/Infection Control: Practices according to safety and infection control policies. (1, 2, 3, 4, 5) 5%
A) Practices universal precautions and disposes of hazardous wastes per established guidelines.
B) Maintains a safe, clean, comfortable and therapeutic environment for patients/families/employees in accordance with hospital standards.
1. Maintains clutter free environment.
2. Keeps conversations and background noise to a minimum.
3. Adheres to dress code.
C) Reports risk management concerns.
D) Assumes responsibility for completing all annual mandatory requirements:
2. Blood Borne Pathogen
3. Hazardous Communication
5. Department Specific
6. Age Appropriate Care
4) Service: Provides service excellence to the customers of Saint Louis University Hospital by delivering timely, high quality care in a courteous, and respectful manner. (1, 2, 3, 4, 5) 10%
A) Demonstrates care and courtesy.
1. Provides prompt, respectful, courteous service.
2. Meets physical, spiritual, psychological, and emotional needs of patients and families.
3. Responds to patients needs promptly.
4. Apologizes for mix-up or delay.
B) Communicates effectively and maintains confidentiality.
1. Listens to patient/family concerns and addresses needs.
2. Explains procedures and all education in a manner that patient/family understands.
3. Allows time for questions.
C) Demonstrate competence and collaboration.
1. Provides accurate report.
2. Provides quality care in accordance to standards.
3. Shares knowledge with other departments to facilitate workflow and continuity.
D. Provides cost effective services.
1. Uses resources wisely.
2. Recommends changes in practice that increase efficiency and minimizes waste.
3. Minimizes overtime and utilizes time well.
5.) Performance Improvement (PI): Incorporates Quality Assessment into one s daily work. (1, 2, 3, 4, 5) 5%
A) Participates in discussion of PI outcomes.
B) Collects PI data as assigned.
C) Participates in research activities.
6) Age Appropriate Care: Provides age-appropriate care to:
____Infant ___Child ____Adolescent _____Adult _____Geriatric
A) Provides a safe environment by following age appropriate safety measures.
B) Communicates effectively by following age appropriate techniques.
C) Involves family or significant other in decision making related to services provided.
D) Demonstrates ability to provide service needed for the age groups routinely served by the department assigned.
F) Attends annual age-specific in-service.
G) Position Specific:
a. Infant totally dependent on care giver.
b. Keeps safe.
a. Explains procedures in language understood by child.
b. Comforts child and stands by for induction to anesthesia.
c. Maintains a quiet atmosphere during induction and awakening stages of anesthesia.
d. Provides warmed blanket to maintain body temperature.
e. Utilizes equipment and instrumentation appropriate for size.
a. Involves patient in discussion of procedure.
b. Maintains privacy and confidentiality.
a. Culturally specific care.
b. Maintain privacy and confidentiality.
c. Utilizes equipment and instrumentation appropriate for size.
d. Maintains safe environment.
a. Respectful, addresses by title and family name unless otherwise instructed not to.
b. Provides warmed blanket.
c. Protects skin with additional padding if needed.
d. Involves patient in planning process and discharge planning.
The following job accountabilities may be reassigned.
1) Not applicable
DISCLAIMER: Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
Rationale for Essential Functions
1) The performance of this function is the reason the job exists.
2) There are limited employees among whom the performance of this function can be distributed.
3) This function occupies a great deal of the employee s time.
4) This function is highly specialized. Employees are hired for the skill/ability to perform this function.
5) Failure to perform this function may have serious consequences.
6) The function was performed by past employees, and is performed by current employees.
7) Exposure to blood borne pathogens that require the use of protective equipment.
8) Exposure to tuberculosis that requires the use of protective equipment.
MINIMUM EDUCATION: High school graduate or equivalent preferred
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE: Either prior OR experience or graduation from an approved surgical technician program preferred
REQUIRED REGISTRY OR LICENSE: Certified Surgical Technologist (CST)
REQUIRED COURSE: See above
WORKING CONDITIONS: Must be able to travel to and between operating rooms at a rapid pace. May be required to wear protective clothing such as masks, gowns, and gloves in addition to adhering to the department dress code. Regularly exposed to risk of blood borne disease. Must be able to work with electrical equipment. May be exposed to hot/cold materials and chemical agents (see MDS sheets). May be exposed to latex. Must be able to work alone, with others, and around others. Must have good organization, planning, reasoning, judgment, problem solving, and safety awareness skills.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Must be able to tolerate prolonged, extensive, or considerable sitting, standing, and walking. Must be able to transfer adult patients who require maximal assistance. Must be able to carry equipment and supplies. Must be able to push/maneuver a wheelchair, stretcher, OR table, in order to complete job tasks. Must be able to tolerate considerable reaching, bending, squatting, kneeling to retrieve equipment and perform patient treatment. Must be able to read and write. Must be able to communicate information in a manner appropriate for intended audience. Must have manual dexterity and mobility. Must be able to tolerate intermittent exertion when assisting in surgery. Must be able to lift 50 pounds and push/pull 100 pounds.
Department Director __________________________________Date_____________
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not to be construed, as an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required of personnel so classified. An individual working in their job classification must also perform specific tasks upon request by supervisor personnel. Furthermore, the duties and responsibilities for this job classification are subject to change at the discretion of the medical center.
Associated topics: general surgery, laparoscopic, robotics, surg, surgeon, surgery, surgery physician
Tagged as: General Surgery, Laparoscopic, Robotics, surg, Surgeon, Surgery, Surgery Physician
Description SHIFT: No WeekendsSCHEDULE: Full-time Description – External Medical City Heart & Spine HospitalRegistered Nurse – RN Open Heart SurgeryMain...Apply For This Job
Description Introduction St. David’s HealthCare is committed to investing in the latest technology enabling nurses to work more efficiently. Are...Apply For This Job
Since 1979, the Portland community has trusted Central City Concern (CCC) to help people create meaningful, long-term change. We serve...Apply For This Job
Description SHIFT: Nights (rotating weekends)SCHEDULE: Full-time Registered Nurse – RN Labor and Delivery Schedule: Full Time / Nights / 7p-7a...Apply For This Job
Overview Advancing Healthcare Together The Future of Healthcare is in East Texas Why UT Health – East Texas? Our People....Apply For This Job